Kristen Marsh spends a "Semester at Sea"



BAHS welcomes back senior Kristen Marsh, a health sciences major, after participating in  "Semester at Sea," a study abroad program of the Colorado State University. Kristen traveled over 24,000 nautical miles aboard a cruise ship  while taking interdisciplinary coursework and conducting hands-on field experiences. Her journey took her to the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, and Croatia. She went diving into the blue caves in the Mediterranean Sea. After returning to dry land, Kristen took the time to answer some questions for BioSynthesis:


What was your favorite part of the experience?
My favorite part of the experience was living in a ship-board community with 400 other eager students and 200+ faculty and staff. Learning and asking questions was highly encouraged.I made connections with friends, locals of different countries, and my professors that will last lifetime!

Something new I learned:
I took a course called “Biological Diversity” with an amazing professor Kate Huyvart. We focused on environmental issues and the seven major threats to biodiversity on the planet:
habitat destruction, habitat fragmentation, habitat degradation, global climate change, overexploitation, disease, pollution, etc. We discussed topics such as deforestation and climate change and the everlasting impacts humans are making on the planet. Seeing these effects firsthand in other parts of the world besides the USA gave me a better perspective on these issues.

How has this experience changed you?
This experience changed my mindset in many ways. I realized I was just living in a bubble between my home in East Stroudsburg and Bloomsburg. Stepping out of my comfort zone y to get accepted into the program has changed my life forever. I feel confident as a global citizen and have now found a new passion to travel.

Do you recommend studying abroad to others?
YES! Stepping on new soil all around the globe is the most uplifting and altering experience that you do not want to miss. The connections and networking opportunities I made will carry on for the rest of my life. Not to mention it is a great resume booster. "Semester at Sea" became my family and I am proud of myself for embarking on this journey! 

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Experience for Medical Imaging Majors

Penn State Primary Care Scholars Program

Dr. Stefanie Kroll, stream ecologist, presents seminar